CREATExperience Host Guidelines
To host an student at your company, follow these easy steps:
- Complete the CREATExperience survey.
- Questions? Contact CREATExperience co-chairs: Nicole Hom or Michelle Funkhouser
- Review the Intern Host Guidelines
The job exposure/job shadow experience can vary in length and frequency. You may choose to have your student work anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks for 15 to 40 hours per week. If your time is limited, 3 five-hour days for 3 weeks can still provide a meaningful work experience and create a new hiring opportunity for your company after the student graduates. The following example is based on an 8-week experience.
WEEK 1: Provide an Orientation to Your Company, CREATE and the Commercial Real Estate Industry
- Introduction to all company and building employees
- Tour of property/surrounding area
- Arrange to visit a CREATE partner’s office (BOMA, IREM or NAIOP), and/or have them attend an industry event
- Hold a staff introduction lunch on their first day, or within the first week
- Overview of the company’s organizational structure and each department’s objective
- Company policies and procedures
- Ensure that the student has their own workspace, computer, and necessary peripherals.
WEEKS 2 – 8: Providing Relevant & Meaningful Work
- Assign a manager to serve as mentor for intern
- Arrange for student to spend one day (or half day) with each department, if possible: engineering, accounting, construction, leasing, security manager, janitorial manager, parking manager, etc.
- If applicable, arrange for a tour of different properties within your company’s portfolio
- Plan specific projects that student can participate and assist with; pull ideas from your colleagues – what work/projects do they have on their back-burners that a student can assist with?
- Once tasks/projects identified, provide adequate training and direction for student
- Have intern keep a portfolio of anything they produce during internship
- Hold weekly progress meetings
- Arrange tours/visits to other commercial property related business offices
FINAL DAY: Wrapping Up
- Complete a performance review at end of program
- Company/mentor and student will turn in an assessment of the program and their experience to the CREATE team